Wednesday, March 26, 2008

On my toes?

I’ve been passing this billboard every working day for the past month or more. I haven’t been able to work out what it’s advertising ... until now.

The two black cut-outs fascinate me. What’s it all about? I ponder every time I passed..... then I forget about it till the next time.

Well, now I know! It’s the Onehunga Enhancement Society (T.O.E.S.).Apparently, Transpower have won the right to operate its power line at a much higher current rating than before. People living and working along the length of the line are naturally worried about how the increase in the Electro Magnetic Field strength (EMF) will affect their long term health.

People versus development – there are never any easy answers, are there?

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

the effect of power lines on human beings is a bit of a controversial subject in our country, as there have been many cases of leukaemia, suicide & other unpleasant things happening to people who live under power lines. I personally would not like to live under one.
Of course many"experts" believe it is harmless, but some don't.

10:22 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

I'm with you on that maggie may ... I'm glad not to have to live too close to these power lines. Risky methinks!

6:08 pm  
Blogger carmilevy said...

We want our inexpensive services to sustain a given standard of living. But we don't want to have to pay for them, or otherwise incur risk. It's classic NIMBY at work.

When I lived in the burbs of Montreal, we were a couple of miles away from a very large hydro line. Some researchers studied the nearby population and determined that there were clusters of sky-high cancer rates in the immediate area of the lines. Touched off a huge debate over EMFs that continues to this day. Very scary stuff.

Michele sent me to share your sentiment that some answers are designed from the start to be difficult and vexing.

11:31 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

welcome back carmi ... it's the old story of we want it all ... but not in my backyard! Scary stuff indeed.

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home