Sunday, March 23, 2008

I feel poetry coming on ....

Last night at 10 o’ clock I looked out of the kitchen window.... and saw the moon peaking out from behind the clouds. How pretty!

A quick glance at the calendar confirms my suspicion .... it’s a full moon.

A favourite.. almost forgotten verse floats though my mind. Immediately I have to go and look it up.

Aha! I find it in my well thumbed Penguin Book of Poems from the Sanskrit.

Blow, wind, to where my loved one is,
Touch her, and come and touch me soon:
I’ll feel her gentle touch through you,
And meet her beauty in the moon.
These things are much for one who loves –
A man can live by them alone –
That she and I breathe the same air,
And that the earth we tread is one.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this a lot. Can you please tell from where it was translated?

It was Holi yesterday. As you probably know, it comes a day after full moon.

And where in India, did you live?

I came here via Michele but I would have visited you anyway.

3:10 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hello again gautami ... the verse is marked Ramayana .... I lived most of the time in bangalore.

3:23 pm  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Aaaah, a poem for long distance lovers... How romantic.

I could have done with that 18 or so years ago. I think I'll print it put anyway....

12:28 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Good plan ms mac ... you can use it when mr mac goes off on one of those mysterious trips of his ... wouldn't he be impressed!

2:53 pm  
Blogger aprilbapryll said...

What a beautiful picture and poem ... the moon brings around such beauty. Michele sent me, thanks!

3:13 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Welcome april and thanks .... I like the moon almost as much as I like rainbows.

3:19 pm  
Blogger sem naufragar said...

Hi :)
I love poetry. And i try to put some of poetry in my life. I'm a romantic woman!
Thanks for your visit. I'll be back. Hope you too!
@-;--

10:20 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

hello again figueirinha ... i like poetry too ... your name is quite strange .... what does it mean i wonder!

11:31 am  
Blogger utenzi said...

The Sanskrit book looks very appealing--or is it just the cover?

4:01 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Dear, dear utenzi ..... the cover is only the promise of what's inside ;)

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home