Monday, October 20, 2008

Looking down

Df and I are just back from a very pleasant trip to Christchurch, a city that prides itself on being as English as the English.

Cathedral Square is more or less the City Centre and, being good tourist material, we had to climb the 134 steps to the balconies half way up the spire.

I must admit the effort was worth it.

This inverted cone sculpture was put up to celebrate the millennium. I rather like it.

Luckily this ugly, purple, sperm-like thingy is temporary – advertising an exhibition of modern art. But then I have to admit that I just don’t get modern art.


I much prefer the simple symmetry of this view …

… and the randomness the market stalls.

The tram is sadly nothing more than a tourist attraction and this one we didn’t succumb to.

I have to say, the locals take their chess VERY seriously. We witnessed what was almost a fist-fight over whose turn it was to make the next move.
Moving stuff!

8 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

hello from michele
i also lack the gene that allows appreciation of modern art

6:14 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Christchurh city center looks the same as before, except for that sperm thingy... did you go to the souvenier shops...

10:09 pm  
Blogger megz_mum said...

We were in Christchurch almost 2 years ago - a beautiful city, and your photos are a lovely reminder of our visit

2:59 pm  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

These photos of Christchurch reminds me a lot of Melbourne around Flinders St station.

11:40 pm  
Blogger Maggie May said...

I really enjoyed that trip around Christchurch! Thanks for sharing.

9:22 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Welcome david ... just as I suspected - it's genetics!

No, ernest, we even resisted the biggest of all tourist traps - the souvenier shops ;)

Thanks Megz_mum ... we did enjoy the trip.

Never having been to Melbourne, ms mac, I'll have to take your word on this one.

Glad you liked in maggie may.

3:08 pm  
Blogger utenzi said...

I like the cone too. A lot, in fact. The sperm-like thing is ugly, particularly in purple. Nasty.

6:51 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

It is ugly utenzi ... but kids seemed to like it. They used it like a new kind of jungle gym!!

10:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home