Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Dog bones...

... in the supermarket freezer along with ham bones which I sometimes buy for making soup. I do hope they mean bones for the dog although I do know that in some parts of the world dogs are raised for their meat.
Interesting that!

We Westerners tend to consider the eating of dog meat to be a kind of taboo. Hindus don’t eat beef –again, for them, it is a kind of taboo. There are all kinds of taboos around what is acceptable (and what is not acceptable) to be eaten... horse meat, frogs' legs, snails... etc., etc....

Maybe we should just accept that it’s a case of each to their own and not go YUCK at the food choices of others.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

quite right, although I dont fancy alsation myself...

7:49 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Agreed, and you wouldnt believe what i have seen people eat here, or got myself to eat...
When we were in NZ, we used to buy chicken bones, heart, liver.. that were sold as dog food, to make soup...and other dishes... and we wondered why Kiwis threw out (at that time it was a dollar a bag)such great food.
Last year we saw that it was no longer sold as dog food and the prices had gone up. Wonder if the supermarkets got wise of the Asian students buying these foodstuff ... :)

1:19 pm  
Blogger megz_mum said...

Yep, each to their own, but I bags not having the "dog" option!

12:39 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Alsation probably would be a 'no, no' rosie ...

True ernest ... we Scots always used to turn our noses up at the pig's trotters that the English used to eat ....

I hesitate over rabbit but quite liked it once I tried .. sure you can't be persuaded megz_mum?

2:36 pm  
Blogger granny p said...

I think it also depends how hungry you are.

Rabbit by the way is delicious. Growing up during and after the war, rearing rabbits was one way way of getting meat. See what I mean about hungry.

It's pretty like chicken. Children have been conned that it is before now and never twigged...

9:08 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Naughty granny .. fooling the children like that! What about your goats? Are they for milk or meat?

11:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home