Sunday, December 23, 2007

Warm Christmases

I’m not really a Christmas person but if there has to be a Christmas let it be a warm one! This trait might be one I inherited from my mother who found any kind of festivities a stressful disruption to her normal day to day living. Christmas was way up there as the worst kind of stress ever. Entertaining sundry relatives couldn’t be avoided and to top it all it had to be accompanied with a kind of feigned joviality. Stress, stress and more stress! I reckon the negative vibes rubbed off on me - although my sister seems to be OK with Christmas. Maybe she got different genes!

I escaped Christmas when I went to live in India. Christmas is not one of their biggest festivals and can easily be ignored or celebrated with nothing more stressful that a cake for afternoon tea. Great!

On returning to UK I was reminded of how Christmas should be celebrated … in fact … Christmas was thrust upon me from all directions … on TV, radio, in shops, on the street … I couldn’t escape! I HATE being told that it is the season of joy and so I should be joyful!

Coming to New Zealand has given me my second chance to escape! OK, Christmas is celebrated here with some enthusiasm but it’s WARM and I can just go to the beach and ignore it!

And then there is the beautiful Pōhutukawa or New Zealand Christmas tree to admire! Here’s one I spotted while taking a walk along the harbour this morning. Lovely!

4 Comments:

Blogger Thumper said...

Ohhhh...I think I want one of those trees. that's so much nicer than a plastic pine tree shoved into the corner of the living room.

Scrolled down and looked at some of your other posts...that kitty looks a lot like the one that showed up on our doorstep a few weeks ago, being all cute and love-me-love-me-love-me. I wanted to keep her so much...I would have if not for the other two little furry psychos we live with. We had to find her another home instead.

Glad to have found you!

2:40 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

welcome thumper ... the trees are lovely this time of the year. They are found all along the coast .. beautiful.

thanks for your nice comments.

10:20 am  
Blogger Moon said...

Oh how lovely! I've never seen one before. I would love to see NZ some time in my lifetime. I get what u mean by stressfull xmas but I have tryed to tone it down in the past yrs..I live far from family and we tend to have quiet christmas' ..works for me lol,
I hope u have the christmas u want...happy holidays, from me and Michele!

2:38 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hi moon .. merry xmas. I'm off for a bit of a trip around the north of the South Island. wooee!

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home