Friday, November 16, 2007

Plants grow, we cut them, plants grow, we cut them …

… there must be more to gardening than this! Can someone help me out here and explain the aspect of human behaviour that has us,
(i) up the garden centre on a Saturday spending our hard-earned money on plants that
(ii) we spend the following Sunday laboriously planting in the piece of land we call our garden
(iii) only to have to spend the next however many number of years cutting them back so that
(iv) we can still find our way to the front door without having to hack our way through the undergrowth?


Yes, you’ve guessed it. I’ve been busy gardening. To more accurately describe the activity df has been gardening. The result? A mess of hedge clippings strewn messily along the fence line. Picture does not tell all … believe me!

What do I care? After all the view of the garden from the road is much improved. We can actually see over the hedge now giving tantalising glimpses of the secret garden within. Passing neighbourhood snoops will have a clearer view of what's within. Not that we have many passing neighbours of any variety given that we are the last house at the end of a ‘No Through’ road. Oh well!!!

So, what DO I care? I care because I’m the cleaner-upper. I ride out on my broomstick (the rake) and waving my magic wand (the rake) pluck order from the jaws of chaos! Magic – NOT!!!




The old witch has to (reluctantly) admit that the flowers on the fejoa tree are just magical.

2 Comments:

Blogger granny p said...

Some of us spend our hard-earned money, labour to plant and then they all DIE. You clearly have green fingers. It's good to see you back. Or did I say that yesterday? True, one or both.

9:43 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

df has the green fingers .... i do the garden version of housekeeping, the HARD stuff like sweeping, raking, weeding ......

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home