Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Imaginings

Our imagination is a funny thing! My daughter lives in Scotland. I speak to her, maybe once a week or so, by phone. I rarely worry about her at other times. Now she is here with me. On Sunday she went to visit some friends on the South Island. I didn't hear from her for a day and I started to worry that she might not be OK.

Two of my favourite quotes are "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we CAN imagine" from J.B.S. Haldane and"Truth is stranger than fiction" attributed to Mark Twain. I agree. But for all our so-called creativity we're surprisingly unimaginative! Just look at the science fiction movies. They are mostly inhabited by creatures that are easily recognisable as modified versions of life on earth. When we do finally meet up with another life form from a distant planet, wouldn't it be disappointing if they turned out to be just like us?

3 Comments:

Blogger granny p said...

you never can stop imagining, can you? But oh the joy when they come. (I worry if they go out for the day here and come back later than expected. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.)

Did you ever read any Ursula Le Guin - her adult fiction - for more imaginative things? There's one called the Left Hand of ??? (I think.) Can't do any better than that without looking it up, Enjoy Fiji. Mallorca, etc was OK.

10:27 pm  
Blogger Lin said...

I feel your fear. I was just instant messaging with my son. He's in Brooklyn, New York. I'm in Topanga, California. Our conversation ended with him typing, "Gotta scoot, Mom. I'm going for a bike ride." My heart near stopped and I tried to inject calm into my typed response, but he beat me to the punch with "I'll be careful... promise." I backspaced my BE CAREFULs and said, "Well, as long as you promise." It is a rare, sweet joy when grown children are back in your orbit...and a worry!

3:01 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hello Karen and thanks .. yes, my daughter is fine and enjoying her travels around the beautiful South Island.

GrannyP .. I haven't read any Ursala Le Guin ... I'll look out for something of hers and give it a try ... thanks.

Welcome Nana Lil ... yes ... a rare joy indeed ... but so satisfying to know that the children have taken wing and can survive away from the parental umbrella, don't you think?

11:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home