Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Fairies ...

I just got home and after having opened the garage door, I took a stroll out to the gate to check the mail box. My neighbour's young son ran towards me with a big shoe box in his hand.

"Look!" he said, opening the box and thrusting it towards me.

I look inside. All I can see is a $5 note.

"Where did you get that?" I ask him, hoping he hasn't robbed anyone.

"The tooth fairy", says the little chap grinning.

I take a closer look and notice that the box also contains a tooth. It's a sign of the changing times! Not only did the fairy give the princely sum of $5 (my tooth fairy always left a sixpence) but the fairy didn't even remove the tooth!

Telling this story at lunch time today triggered a whole lot of childhood memories from my fellow-lunch-eaters. Sarah tells us that when she was in school one of her friends got two crunchie bars and a $5 note from the tooth fairy. When Sarah lost her next tooth, she wrote, "Dear tooth fairy, my friend Sue got two crunchies and a $5 note for her tooth from the tooth fairy and I think I should get the same." Next morning she woke up to find 20 cents under the pillow and a note from the tooth fairy saying, "In this house the tooth fairy only gives 20 cents." Oh dear!

I remember, as a child, reading that the reason why cows lie down in the field when it rains is to keep a patch of the grass dry for the fairies. I was quite shocked to learn later (much later) that it's not true! Maybe that's why slightly dodgy tales are called fairy stories ... maybe ....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number one son lost a tooth at the boule pitch on a campsite in France. He was 4, and devastated.

His Dad had to write a note - in French - explaining what had happened.

I've still got the note, and treasure it!

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home