Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The unfamiliarly familiar

It was a strange feeling. I went down to the village where I've been many times to buy sandwiches for lunch but this time I went in the afternoon. It felt different. The old familiar shops were frequented, not by the office crowd, but by little old ladies and young women with children moving leisurely about - people who don't do the 9 to 5 office thingy!

I've felt the same way on the few occassions I've gone back, years later, to a place where I used to work or live. There is a kind of eerie sensation of knowing but not knowing, of everything having moved on, of not belonging. I've never felt that way when, say, I've gone to visit a friend after many years. I suppose, with friends, there is always the element of having stayed in touch .. phone, letter, email, whatever.

Sometimes, I imagine how the places that I am now so familair with will be when I'm no longer around. We spend so much time looking after the garden and cleaning the house but we only have to neglect the chores for a few months and chaos reigns. I like the feeling of impermanence these thoughts give me .. my very own footsteps in the sand.

7 Comments:

Blogger granny p said...

Footsteps in the sand; yeah. Catches it beautifully. Having moved round a lot I get that feeling all the time. But maybe a fragment of aura too? - a murmur? Or is that just longing not to be forgotten - at the same time as the pleasure in it?

8:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I wonder...

Is there tiny little vibrations of us left in all the places we have lived in?

Part of me feels like you do Omikiss, I rather hope not.

10:25 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

granny's aura or murmurs and caroline's little vibrations .... nice thoughts. Maybe .... but somehow I don't think so.

2:54 pm  
Blogger granny p said...

It's the scientist talking. I know all about THEM. (live with one.)

8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but this one reads Rodger McGough, apparently...

9:23 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hello morphess, Have you read McGough’s Waving at Trains? It’s my favourite.

1:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I have, it's not here in my poetry section. I've lost so many books over the years.

Used to read him a lot years ago, can still recite whole poems but will refrain...

3:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home