Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Trafficators

Schools out! For some reason schools have their Easter break this week. I know its not Easter but what can I say? This is New Zealand! Anyway, the upside of this for me is that there is, at least, 50% less traffic on the roads in the mornings. A trip that would usually take me close to half an hour took me just under 15 minutes this morning! No, I wasn't speeding. It did make me wonder. How many people get up and about with the sole purpose of driving their kids to school? What happened to kids walking to school? Is the world really so unsafe that a morning walk is no longer an option? I truly hope not! I would like to think it's more to do with life style. Buy house in best area you can afford, find good school sort of approach. Doesn't matter if the kids can't go anywhere on their own, there's always the car! Not only does this kind of thinking result in parents having the responsibility of driving their kids to school, it also means that the kids' friends are often not their neighbours. Result? A lot of ferrying of kids activity on the roads! Sigh!

I did have time, even on my much faster journey, to notice a sticker on the back window of a car. The driver had decided that, possibly since there was less traffic, it would be a waste of energy, battery life, whatever, to trafficate (use the trafficator, otherwise known as indicator, to let other road users know where you are going). Giving the customary quick glare of indignation, it was the word prayer on the sticker that jumped out at me. Not surprising I suppose, since I had been listening to the BBC World Service that was full of news about the new pope. Oh ho, thought I, I wonder who this guy wants for pope. It turns out the sticker was not indicating any papal preferences, it read, Answer my prayers, Steal this car.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here, the traffic disappears pretty much during all the school holidays. But when it gets abd... it gets bad.

Fun panty liners btw!

11:30 pm  
Blogger D said...

Just calling in to say hello, Omykiss! I'll be back... (hope that doesn't sound like a threat)

Completely off-topic, I've just read that you lived in India, and thought you might be interested in Deepak's blog, hints, allegations and things left unsaid. He recently made a trip to Hampi and wrote a lovely account of it, spread over several posts.

12:29 am  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

Apparently parents are all terrified their child will be abducted, yet the only time a child has been abducted on the way to school was Teresa Cormack about 15 years ago. Amazing how busy the traffic is given all the schools are supposedly zoned.

4:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right....

I see children ALL the time in the towns here walking to and from school in their bare feet - God Bless New Zealand!

I live 25 minutes away from my childrens school, and there is no way I would let them walk down the 100k road (with no pavement) at the top of our drive anyway.

So yes, I use the car 'just' to take my children to school.

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home