Thursday, May 12, 2005

Broken tooth

I don't even know how it happened! I was quietly watching a not very interesting Fair Go programme on TV about the cost of getting your wheels clamped, when my tongue happened upon a suspiciously rough surface on a bottom left molar. It didn't take me long to realise that the tooth was broken.

How on earth did that happen? Thinking back, I did have a bit of a chew at a chicken bone that was a part of the remains of the roast chicken that had formed part of my evening meal.

I'm just back from an emergency visit to the dentist. Half my face is frozen and I'm dribbling like a baby as I try to drink a cup of green tea. I have the probably misplaced hope that the warm tea will neutralise the frozen lip!

The visit went something like this.

"What can we do for you?"

"I've broken a tooth!"

"Again?"

As I nod sadly, "OK then, let's have a look."

I sit gingerly on the edge of the chair and somehow wriggle my way in. I am unceremoniously tipped back so that all the fluid in my body rushes to my head. A few "Hmm"s and "Haaa"s later I feel a tapping on the damaged tooth.

"Is this the one?"

I try to nod. If anyone has found a way of talking to a dentist with a mouth filled with all the steely instruments that are apparently tools of the trade I'd like to know about it. Please. A few excruciating squirts of cold water, cold air and some interminable poking around later, I'm tipped upright again to confront the verdict!

"The tooth can be saved, but ..."

There's always the "but". I hold my breath and wait.

"..but, it has already been filled, there's not much of the tooth left,it needs to be capped, etc, etc ..."

"How much is that going to cost me?"

"$900"

So there it is. The bottom line! My absentminded chewing on the chicken bone is going to cost me $900! And in future I'm going to watch what I say about the fairies ... they're not as benign as they make out!

7 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ouch, it's bad when the fee hurts more than the dentistry.

2:12 am  
Blogger kenju said...

Ouch is right! When my Dad was around 80, he was eating something fairly soft (I've forgotten what) and he sheared off 2 teeth at the gumline. Unfortunately that kind of thing happens more often as we age.

5:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Omykiss,

My name is Julien. I am building a new website for expatriates, and will be the webmaster of www.expat-blog.com. In the last three years I have spent a lot of time travelling and living away from my home country, hence me setting up www.expat-blog.com.

I had the idea to create a blog so I could share my experiences of living abroad and keep in touch with my family and friends. While reading other expatriate blogs the idea came to me to create a classified expat blog directory. This would include a free blog hosting platform with interesting features such as picture albums designed specifically for expatriates. I do not believe this would be in competition with existing blog platforms such as blogger.

The website is still in working progress. The present situation is as follows:
> The expatriate blog directory, including a classification per country and language - I am working on this at the present time
> The free Blog platform – this section will be completed by the middle of June.
> An Expat resource directory - this will include all expatriate suggestions.
> A forum designed to encourage interactivity and questions/answers from expatriate to expatriate

This is the global presentation of the website. Do you think my project is a good idea?

Would you like to add your blog in the expatriate blog directory?

I look forward to hearing from you

Julien

11:58 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Thanks for your sympathy zinnia and kenju. Yes .. I'm getting old I suppose!

Welcome Julien ... I'm not a very expat-ty kind of person but do keep in touch.

3:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot omykiss for your response. Would you help me to promote my website?

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(oops I pressed the wrong button)
And would you like to add your blog to the directory?

Take care,

Julien

12:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

classified free place

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home