Friday, January 02, 2009

Misery guts …

Can you believe it? That’s what one of my friends and colleagues called me! Why? Because I don’t really enjoy Christmas!

Being in New Zealand and having a warm, bright, mostly sunny Christmas does help, though!

This year, and the first time ever for me, we had a REAL Christmas tree. It was organized by my son-in-law-to-be who is something of a Christmas child. I have to admit the tree looked very nice in a corner of our living space. The smell of pine was also rather pleasant.

I’m not sure what the tree would have thought about the whole thing. It looks rather ordinary now that it has joined others of its kind in our back yard. I rather imagine that it’s beginning to see itself as firewood.

Maybe it’s that time of the year – a new year, new beginnings but it brings to mind a verse from Erasmus Darwin’s Temple of Nature which goes like this:

“HENCE when a Monarch or a mushroom dies,
Awhile extinct the organic matter lies;
But, as a few short hours or years revolve,
Alchemic powers the changing mass dissolve;
Born to new life unnumber’d insects pant,
New buds surround the microscopic plant;
Whose embryon senses, and unwearied frames,
Feel finer goads, and blush with purer flames;
Renascent joys from irritation spring,
Stretch the long root, or wave the aurelian wing.”

4 Comments:

Blogger megz_mum said...

Happy New Year! And did you enjoy Christmas and your lovely real live Christmas tree? It seems to be something you are either in to, or not, not a lot of half-way feelings about Christmas.
Wishing you happiness for 2009!

1:42 am  
Blogger Maggie May said...

You seem to have survived Christmas and I think you enjoyed it really.
the part I hate is the taking down of decorations and the putting away of everything. Yuck!

Love your photos and especially the stacked logs.

10:35 am  
Blogger Rosie said...

boff I hate christmas, and feelmuch better now that I have finally admitted it...It's all the other people who are out of step, not us!

5:31 am  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Well said Rosie ... Thanks for the support!

Thanks megz_mum ... you're always very understanding.

I have to admit I enjoyed the longish hoilday ... and the weather was pretty good too ... so I'm not really complaining.

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home