Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Too much of a good thing?

It was lunch time when I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t packed my lunch. I would have to venture forth and buy a sandwich. Sitting at my desk, I was feeling cold. A quick glance out of the window convinced me that since it looked bright enough I could probably safely go out without a jacket. So doing, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the outside world was a glorious sunny 24 degrees. Whatever happened to just opening the windows and letting nature in?

Yeah sure, but what happens when it’s freezing outside? How lovely to be cosily encased in our heated rooms oblivious to the artificiality of the environment.

Maybe we have lost the balance a little. We overuse technology and try a little too hard to achieve the perfect controlled environment. In summer, we all have to wear extra clothes in the office and remove them when we go out. In winter, we remove layers of clothing when we get to work. Just think of the futility of it and of all that energy that's being wasted!

Sigh!

A PS:
mark's comment just reminded me of the funniest part of the whole air-conditioning saga. When we first moved into this building a couple of years ago ... it was freezing. Believe it or not I was wearing a woolly hat and gloves while sitting here at my desk! Innumerable phone calls and complaints to the air conditioning people failed to produce any increased temperatures and so, eventually, the engineer came out to investigate.

Turns out the thermostats are all centrally controlled by computers and they were adjusting the thermostats for offices on the floor above us! Imagine! All the poor guys up there were probably stripping off while we all continued to freeze! Isn't technology wonderful?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I'm currently a frequent visitor to Mercedes Benz Head Office in Milton Keynes. Lucky me. Every time I've been, I've worn a sweater. Every time I get there I have to take both jacket and sweater off. I should tell their accounts department: they must be wasting a fortune.

10:03 pm  
Blogger 123-I-Love-You said...

Muchas gracias for your comments on my blog. I laughed to read about the similar experiences of your teacher friend.

Nice blog by the way. I agree - we're becoming frighteningly dependent on technology.

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home