Thursday, March 10, 2005

My all time favourite word

Prepone (verb): to bring forward to an earlier time. It’s the opposite of postpone.

“Prepone” is widely used in India and appears in such prestigious English language newspapers as the Times of India. For example, on the 8 March the newspaper reports that two women power lifters were banned from competition for two years when they complained that, that the women's events scheduled for February 18 and 19 were strangely preponed. The newspaper goes on to say that, the sudden preponement was because ….There are many, many examples of this usage.

Wow! A quick Google search has just led me to this report in the Bangalore based Deccan Herald. “Preponed” and other “Indian coinages” have made it to the seventh edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary.

My day is made!

3 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Great! A new word for me to use! That's made my day too.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Colin Davey said...

Doesn't India do great English? I shall use "prepone" in conversation at the earliest opportunity and report back!

10:02 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Welcome boggins, I think you should prepone your next meeting ... just so you can slip in the new word ;)

4:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home