Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dhal recipe

I was in a rush to get the food organised so that I would be ready to watch Coronation Street without interruption. Past experience has taught me that a culinary hurry is a recipe for disaster. Last night was the exception. It was actually df’s night to cook but he made some beans and kind of left the kitchen. It was up to me. Dhal it was going to be. I decided to use the ordinary red lentil. Of all the dhals red lentils cook fastest.

Method used:
Boil dhal in sufficient water with a little turmeric and a dash of oil. The oil speeds up the cooking process. I have no scientific evidence for this but it was my ex-mother-in-law who told me this and that’s good enough for me.
While the dhal is boiling, in a separate pan, add a little oil and when it’s hot throw in some red or green chillies, some cumin and mustard seeds and a few curry leaves.
After these have spluttered for a bit, add a finely chopped onion and after a bit some chopped garlic and after a bit more some chopped coriander leaves (these are essential to produce the *wicked* taste).
To this mixture add a bit of vinegar (not too much or you’ll spoil the whole thing), a pinch or two of sugar and keep frying till the smell of vinegar is dampened. It’s done.
Add the fried stuff to the dhal, boil for five minutes or so and don't forget the salt.
Enjoy with the rice that you have remembered to cook in the meantime. Oh, and the beans were a treat too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for the recipe! I have always though dahl was a scary thing to cook and you had to do strange mystic things to make it work. You make it sound pretty easy so I'm finally going to give it a go! I'll win friends and influence people with my cooking prowess yet!! hehe! Ta!

2:46 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hi notmadab, I just love dhal-rice .. it's my favourite. I've got loads of ways of cooking dhals. I may reveal a few more sometime ..... ;)
So my mother-in-law was right again!

Hi nic, good luck with your dabble into the mystical world of dhals. Let me know how you get on.

4:44 pm  
Blogger Willie Lupin said...

I'd take my hat off to you if I wore one. On Coronation Steet nights I usually slam a frozen pizza in the oven.
Exciting episodes this week where Katy......no, I won't be that horrible.

11:25 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Hi willie .... over here we've just buried Sarah and Todd's little Billy.

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home