Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cabbage chemistry

It was 5:05 on my bedside radio. I woke up with a decidedly uncomfortable feeling in the tummy. Low rumblings that sounded a bit like the bubbling noises you get when boiling eggs in a pot that’s a bit too big for the job. I could actually feel the air moving around the small intestine. Not pleasant! The culprit, of course, was the cabbage I had eaten while watching Coronation Street. df did warn that cabbage causes gas. It seems he was right. We had enjoyed a very tasty meal of cabbage and Indian roti (also called chappati by some). The recipe is my own Hands-on Cabbage. In my opinion, it’s the only way to eat cabbage. The boiled limp kind that my mother used to serve smelled of public lavatories and tasted of nothing very much (fortunately). My Hands-on Cabbage is great with Indian food and also makes a very nice accompaniment to sausages, lamb chops, steaks … try it.

Hands-on Cabbage Recipe:
Shred enough cabbage for two people (about four handfuls). Cut a large onion into thin slices. Chop a green chilli. Put the chopped cabbage, onion and chilli into a bowl with a handful of shredded coconut, a teaspoonful of turmeric powder and some salt.
(Be careful not to use too much salt at this stage. The cabbage looks more than it is. It will shrink down on cooking.)

Use your hands to rub the salt and turmeric into the cabbage mixture. Do this until the cabbage begins to feel moist.
Don’t rub your eyes or they two will feel more than a little moist. There is chilli on your fingers … remember.

Put a spoonful or two of oil into a wok. Add a teaspoonful of dhal (any except red lentils will do; urud is best), dry red chillies (optional), curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Fry till the dhal turn light brown and the mustard seeds pop. Add the cabbage mixture and stir for a few minutes. Lower the heat, cover and leave it to cook. Stir the mixture once in a while.
Don’t add water, it completely ruins the taste. That’s it. It’s ready when the cabbage is cooked to your liking.

On second thoughts, maybe I shouldn’t blame the cabbage for the nocturnal rumblings. It could have been the glass of beer I had just before the meal. I suddenly have this rather scary image of a chemistry lesson where we used red cabbage juice as an indicator to measure the pH of various substances. One of those substances was beer. Yikes!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious, even with the after effects... I'm having that this weekend!

9:55 pm  
Blogger Omykiss said...

Welcome zeno ... just stay away from the beer and you'll be fine ;)
Happy cooking.

4:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey! One minute I'm searching the web for things on how to cook chicken, and the next I'm reading this post. I'm not sure that's exactlly what I had in mind, Omykiss, but I've enjoyed my visit. Now I'm off to try another search on how to cook chicken.

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Omykiss
I never realised that so many different types of blog would show up if I did a search on something like lobster. I'm still not sure how well this post fits into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Omykiss, I had been out looking for some new information on carbuncles when I found your site and this post. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

6:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Omykiss, Out surfing for information on staph & happened upon your site. While this post wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

11:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home